Monday, March 27, 2017

Reviewing Our Production Work - Assignment 2

You have now created a film poster of your own with original photography and a storyboard for a trailer that is supposed to have synergy with your poster. 

In today's lesson, before we go on Easter holidays, I want you to create a new blog post entitled Reviewing My Production Work- Assignment 2.
Write a detailed paragraph for each question explaining how your film poster has matched the brief and how you researched and used conventions to make your finished product authentic and professional. 

You may use the below questions as a starting point to help you craft your paragraphs:
(Tip- use your media glossaries to get that media terminology in!)


1) What are the typical features (conventions) of a film poster that you have used? eg an age rating, institutional information, reviews, a central image. 
2) What is the genre of your film? How would your target audience know this from choices you have made? eg colour scheme, mise-en-scene (props, costume, character, setting)

3) What institutional information have you used to try and sell the film and how does this appeal to the audience? eg 'From the Producers of...' / Star power / Directors / Reviews. 
4) Where are there examples of synergy between your storyboard and trailer? (How are the two clearly linked?)

5) Extension: What Representations have you used in your film? (gender / race / age / character type)? Are these reinforcing or challenging stereotypes?

I have completed an example one using a poster and storyboard from one of last year's GCSE students:







1) When researching the conventions of a film poster, I noticed that most posters use a focal, central image to immediately catch the eye of the audience and interest them in the film. The central image dominates the poster and is usually related to the central characters or narrative plot. I have chosen to focus on my protagonist (the hero) and the antagonist (villain) characters. To show that they are opposing each other, I positioned them next to each other but back to back and I used fire and ice to demonstrate their powers. The plot of my film features two avenging angels so I used Photoshop to create wings behind my original photography to signify that they are angels. I used an indication of when the film would be released (‘Coming Soon’) to create anticipation and I name checked the stars of the film to interest people who might already be fans of their work. The title of the film is prominent and positioned directly underneath the image to link the two together. The tag line adds more information by summing up the film: You’ve Got Nothing to Fear…If You’ve Got Nothing to Hide. I also included an age rating – 15 because the BBFC would probably classify my film as suitable for audience members of 15 years old and older because there is violence in my narrative.

2)      The genre of my film is action thriller but there is also an element of the superhero/ supernatural genre because I am including angels who are from a different world. I have signified my genre using dark colours and a smoke effect as this looks eerie and supernatural. The position of the characters makes them look confrontational which suggests the action element of the film. The fire and ice props connote the special powers that the characters have and show the audience that there is going to be action and potential violence in the film. For my costume, I put my characters in modern, casual street clothes to show the urban setting and to suggest that it is set in modern day.

3)      Regarding institutional information, I have used the logos of Warner Brothers and Lionsgate, the two production companies that I would want to make my film. I have also included positive reviews to give the film credibility and I have included institutional information in a blurb at the bottom of the poster, as is conventional. This will encourage an audience to go and see this film if they have enjoyed other films by the same Director or made by the same institution. Lionsgate is an American, successful production company that has made films like ‘Hunger Games’ and the Divergent franchise so they will hint to the audience that my film might have similar appeal. Warner Brothers is one of the biggest production companies so the audience can tell this is going to be a mainstream blockbuster. I have name checked the stars of the film to endorse them.

4)      There is synergy between my poster and storyboard because the main characters from the central image in my poster also feature in my storyboard for my trailer. The trailer opens with the institutional information for Warner Brothers but I have incorporated fire and ice around the logo to link with my poster. The tagline is also included along with the title of the film so that the audience can link the trailer and the poster. My storyboard features close up shots of the angel’s wings and the fire/horns of the villain both of which are shown in the central image of my poster. This highlights the importance of these characters.

5)      I have represented two ethnic minority figures as my hero and villain. My hero is an Arab teenager and my villain is of Asian descent. This is subversive as most action films stereotype white characters as the protagonists and cast ethnic minorities as the villains. I wanted to give a positive representation of an Arab male teenager as a role model with angel wings signifying that he is a positive character. I have used two male characters because most action adventure storylines feature male characters in the dominant roles. The age of the two characters is supposed to be young adults so that my film appeals to a teenage audience. I wanted them to look like typical teenagers but the red eyes and wings suggest that there is something unique about them that makes them subvert our expectation of normal teenage boys.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment